The ikeGPS™ provides a quick and auditable method of measuring the height and spacing of utility pole attachment points. The ikeGPS™ camera system’s performance is evaluated for measuring the attachment points on utility poles.
Accuracy is found to be better than 2% of the height measured, which equates to 3/16” over a typical communications cable vertical separation of 15”.
The traditional method of measuring pole attachment heights in the telecom and power utility markets has been an extendable fibreglass measuring pole (hot stick) that is raised to touch each point of interest on the pole, and the height written down. This method has a few challenges in the real world:
- The base reference point can move over the course of several measurements
- Curving of the measuring pole around objects adds unknown errors
- When looking straight up it can be difficult locating the precise attachment point of different services
- Measuring poles wear out
- No verification of the work done
- Limited to a certain height
- Potential contact with high voltages
- Must know exactly what you need to measure on the pole when you are in the field
- Must also keep an eye on the road while holding and concentrating on the pole
In this white paper we describe how the ikeGPS™ mobile GIS system provides a cost effective solution.
Download this white paper today >>>